Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Return from Gencon 2010

I've just gotten back from Gencon 2010 and all I can really say is wow!  The response from the community to my multi-touch table was amazing.

I presented my multi-touch screen and software pack with Geek Chic from their booth.  They built a lovely enclosure (all of Geek Chic's tables are super awesome) and we put the whole thing together on Wednesday before the show.

I'll admit to severe nervousness regarding the table actually fitting the enclosure prior to the show.  The owner of Geek Chic and I had been talking on and off for a couple of months about build and specs, but I was concerned that I might have gotten something wrong or sent the wrong info.  And when I saw the box the Locus (the awesome name they came up with for the combined table) shipped in, I was even more concerned.  It was thin.  To thin.

Fortunately, Geek Chic knows exactly what they're doing and we took out the parts from the box, assembled the table and had roughly 1/2 and inch of extra room for guts of the table.  This lead to some confusion at first because the projection was too large.  After determining the source of the problem I grabbed some scrap and we propped up the projector resulting in much success.

The next hurdle was getting the darn thing to aligned right.  There was some damage to my mirror assembly by AirTran's baggage personnel.  This led to a twist in the video which I had to untwist by adjusting the mirror placement.

Finally, with all the initial kinks worked out, I was able to present the table at in all it's 42" of multi-touch goodness.

Then the convention center turned up the lights in the Dealer Room.  Oh Noes!

Actually the table did wonderfully under the super bright lights.  We had some heating problems but a kind fellow from another booth (Thanks Adrian and thank you to your lovely wife who's name I have forgotten, as well) lent us the use of a fan!

The single fan worked perfectly.  We were able to keep the whole setup cool with only the occasional overheat here or there afterward.   Sunday, I moved the fan into a better position and survived the whole day without incident.

-- More to come tomorrow --

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on the video that I took that shows the table in action. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I realized after the show that I didn't get a chance to take a single photo or video of the table in use as a gaming surface, just a gaggle of kids playing with it.

    I look forward to seeing your video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check it out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PsVuBA8R8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tobias, I hope it wasn't a problem that I used one of your graphics in the video. I know I should have asked you first. If it is an issue I can always reedit and repost the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PsVuBA8R8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the video! No problem using the image. You should know that I generated those as mock up's of the end design. They are not to exact scale or even placement of the mirror or projector. Just a rough idea for collaborating with Geek Chic.

    Finally, I just finished processing my incorporation forms and now the table surface is from Mesa Mundi, Inc, and the Locus is a collaboration between Geek Chic and Mesa Mundi. I'll post a real post about this later today (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you mind if I feature the video in a blog post?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not at all. Go for it.

    Mesa Mundi = Table World?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly! table of worlds :) i.e. a table which can host many worlds.

    ReplyDelete