Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gaming on the Mock Up

Over last weekend my gaming group actually got a chance to use the mock up in non-touch mode.  At the time I was still waiting on my camera and lense for the setup.  The camera arrived today, so hopefully I'll have something to show with full touch in the next day or so.  

But back to the gaming!  Even in low tech, no special reveal during exploration the group loved using the table.  I was able to quickly illustrate large section of world maps and tactical areas without the players having to guess at what my hasty symbology was going to mean.  The down side is that when running games in the future, I might actually have to prep my maps in advance.  Still, this is absolutely the bed I'm planning to make for myself I better get used to sleeping in it (or not sleeping as the case may be).



The images I've included in this post do not show the actual setup we used.  Silly, tired self didn't take any photos of the game in session.  In the images attached I'm just demoing the screen with paper for a projection surface.  For the session I used a cut of my Rosco grey stapled to the wooden frame.  


For stretching the Rosco I've actually found stapling to be quite effective.  Using a large gauge staple gun staple similarly to stretching canvas.  I left the Rosco on for a 4 days of constant touch and test usage without any snags or distortion in the material.  





Important note:  Rosco grey blocks IR.  Yes this is information that is posted in the nuigroup's forums.  No, I hadn't found it in the forums when I switched from an FTIR to DSI setup.  As to the FTIR effect using the Endlighten + Rosco Grey -- excellent but required much pressure, so much in fact that I was concerned for the safty of the Endlighten.

No comments:

Post a Comment